Focusrite scarlett 18i8 with reaper on linux mint 17

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ragmelo

Focusrite scarlett 18i8 with reaper on linux mint 17

Post by ragmelo »

Hi everyone,
this is my first post on this forum!
I'm a newbie on DAW and audio interfaces, I just have very little experience with Ardour on ubuntu studio.

I've managed to install reaper and connect my Focusrite scarlett 18i8 on a fresh linux mint 17. I can see and use input 1 and 2 in reaper, in both mono and stereo mode, but I don't seem to get the other 2 inputs on the front, and the 4 inputs on the back. I'm attaching 2 screenshots to help understanding what I'm saying. I would have expected to see the other inputs there, unless I'm wrong.
Also, I'm using cadence to start Jack. I configured it with either 0 in input channels and 0 in output channels, as this is supposed to get the hardware max channels. However, I also tried with 18 and 8 respectively, but same results.

Anyone with a similar setting? Any suggestion/help is appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-2.png (37.45 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png (41.5 KiB) Viewed 719 times
daeavelwyn
Established Member

Re: Focusrite scarlett 18i8 with reaper on linux mint 17

Post by daeavelwyn »

Hi Ragmelo,

Perhaps you have solved your problem, but just in case someone else comes here with the same, here are some tricks.
First of all, you have to be sure your soundcard is correctly configure into jack. to do that, open cadence and then catia (in the tools tab) and look if you can see the 18 audio input (usualy in blue named from capture_1 to capture_18.

If you are wrong at these steps, you probably miss something in your jack configuration.

So, second element, to use your 18i8 with jack and reaper, you have to install the wineasio package. I'm on kxstudio, so i don't know if the package has the same name on mint.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -l | grep wine
ii  libkwineffects1abi4                         4:4.11.11-0ubuntu0.2+kxstudio1                  amd64        library used by effects for the KDE window manager
ii  wine-gecko2.24:amd64                        2.24-0kxstudio2                                 amd64        Microsoft Windows compatibility layer (embedded web browser)
ii  wine-gecko2.24:i386                         2.24-0kxstudio2                                 i386         Microsoft Windows compatibility layer (embedded web browser)
ii  wine-mono4.5.2                              4.5.2-0kxstudio2                                all          Microsoft Windows compatibility layer (.NET compatibility)
ii  wine-rt                                     1:1.7.25-1~trusty1                              amd64        Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulator and Library)
ii  wine-rt-amd64                               1:1.7.25-1~trusty1                              amd64        Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (64-bit support)
ii  wine-rt-i386                                1:1.7.25-1~trusty1                              i386         Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (32-bit support)
ii  wineasio                                    0.9.0+git20110613-2kxstudio1                    amd64        Wine ASIO driver for JACK
ii  wineasio-amd64                              0.9.0+git20110613-2kxstudio3                    amd64        Wine ASIO driver for JACK (64bit)
ii  wineasio-i386                               0.9.0+git20110613-2kxstudio3                    i386         Wine ASIO driver for JACK (32bit)
ii  winetricks   
Third point (only if the both before are ok!). in reaper, go to options > preferences > then audio > device and you will be able to choose your audio driver on the drop-down list at the top of the pannel. Choose ASIO, then On the below drop-down list, choose WineASIO. And finaly, just below the WineASIO drop-down menu, you will select the numbers of inputs/outputs you which to appear in you track selection.

I hope this can help,

Regards
Attachments
reaper-catia-jack02.png
reaper-catia-jack02.png (15.92 KiB) Viewed 708 times
reaper-catia-jack.png
reaper-catia-jack.png (138.38 KiB) Viewed 708 times
ragmelo

Re: Focusrite scarlett 18i8 with reaper on linux mint 17

Post by ragmelo »

Hi daeavelwyn,
thanks for your reply. I eventually got it working. I had all the step you mentioned except the last one

" below the WineASIO drop-down menu, you will select the numbers of inputs/outputs you which to appear in you track selection"

Once I done that I could see and choose all inputs/outputs in reaper. I meant to update my post with the solution, but I forgot. My bad, apologies about that.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with it, I did already a number of recordings and it works really well :)

Best